Our major new assessment of the role of soot in the climate system has been published. We find that black carbon or soot is the second largest contributor to global warming behind carbon dioxide. read more…
In the Rainforest Bank
Over one million hectares of rainforest is in the Bank and already 250,000 hectares is protected by our supporters. Find out why your business should join us.
Who Are We?
The United Bank of Carbon (UBoC) is a collaboration between established, responsible businesses and leading environmental academics who, together, aim to reduce climate change by protecting the world’s rainforests and their peoples.
UBoC was originally a partnership between three complementary organisations. Having worked with tea and coffee growers in the tropics for 20 years, Bettys and Taylors of Harrogate brings practical experience of working with local communities and NGOs. The company was joined by business advisory firm Deloitte which provides expertise in the emerging currency of carbon and the University of Leeds which gives the underpinning scientific rigour. This collaboration has grown to incorporate a number of project sponsors from some of the UK’s leading organisations.
UBoC enables businesses to choose a specific project to partner with that has synergies with their own organisation or brand. Since 2009, experts at the University of Leeds have been rigorously checking rainforest projects across the globe and have established an impressive database of projects, run by various non-governmental organisations (NGOs) in several countries. By selecting from this bank, businesses can be sure that they are supporting a project that will deliver on its goals.
UBoC is based on the principle that by working together organisations, whether they are universities, businesses, NGOs or projects, can change the world. Already, funding provided by businesses in the UK is leveraging additional investment from European public funds, proving that combined forces really can produce results.
GREEN LIVING BLOG
- Ecotrust director visits project supporter Straight
Business Link 01 August 2012
- Ecotrust director visits Yorkshire businesses tackling climate change
Yorkshire Times 01 August 2012
- Fighting to save the rainforest
Morpeth Herald 27 March 2012
- Lions branch into tree charity
The York Press 7 March 2012
- Yorkshire-based charity helping businesses to offset their carbon emissions
Harrogate News 19 January 2012
- Business branches out to help the environment
York Press 19 January 2012
- Straight joins scheme to fight climate change
Yorkshire Post 15 December 2011
- Shepherd put down eco roots in Uganda
The Press, Thursday 24th November 2011
- Wild honoured by University
TheBusinessDesk.com 19th July 2011
- Yorkshire Business Masters 2011: Winning a "great honour"
TheBusinessDesk.com 27th April 2011
- Yorkshire Business Masters 2011: Yorkshire Pride
TheBusinessDesk.com 18th April 2011
- Video Report: 'Yorkshire Pride' takes centre stage
TheBusinessDesk.com 23rd June 2010
- Firms put climate change on the agenda
Yorkshire Evening Post 21 April 2010
- Joining forces to save the rainforests
Yorkshire Post 15 April 2010
- Bettys boss on mission to help the rainforests
TheBusinessDesk.com 12th March 2010
- Brewing for Peru
Yorkshire Post 22 September 2009
- Shortlisted Entries In Full
Yorkshire Post 8 May 2009